I probably never should've decided to work in the public sphere in any capacity.. I posess that deep melancholic vein that probably would've remained undisturbed my whole life had I chosen a less stressful position in life than I have. I should work with things that don't talk. I should surround myself with objects that cannot express thoughts.
Instead, every day when I head off to work I know someone is going to have something to say that is going to upset me.
Sometimes it's my very first table and that'll be it for the day.
I'll spend the whole day psyching myself up, convincing myself that it's going to be a great day, that I'm happy go-lucky and positive and that good things happen to people who believe in good things happening to people who believe.. you know what I'm trying to say. Anyway, I head off to work with a smile on my face, everything is cool, and then I approach my first table.
Let's say it's a Monday, and lets say we're dealing with some guy.
Hey, can I get you a drink to start off with? *stupid unsuspecting grin*
I want the all-you-can-eat wings.
Uhh, I'm sorry but that isn't available until after 4 pm.
The sign out front doesn't say that!
Actually, it does. It says ALL U CAN EAT WINGS @ 4
No. It doesn't.
Okay, sure, it doesn't. Anyway, I'm sorry...
*cuts me off* Well I'm never going to come here again, that's for sure.
And then I shrink a little on the inside.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

1 comment:
I never understood why you let things that should cause you to laugh cause you such turmoil.
- Some dude walks in
- ill informed
- you tell him he is wrong (which you know beyond a doubt
- He says he isn't coming here again.
What I got from this was
- He was embarrassed by being wrong and took it out on you
- You were right (which should always feel good :))
- you don't have to see him again.
WHAT I ALSO GOT FROM THIS
- Maybe he doesn't have much money and you assumed he was just being a jerk. Maybe he had looked under his couch and chairs to find enough money for this wings deal. was excited to come and have a good meal and when he realized he made a mistake was embarrassed because that was all he had money for. Kind of like that guy at work and his father. you never fully know someone's predicament. Perhaps right now it is he who has truly shrunk a little inside.
MIND THE GRAMMAR
Post a Comment